Every child is supported by a caring adult.
We invest so that children grow up loved and resilient with families that are strong, neighbourhoods that are connected, institutions that are healthy and systems that are creative and dynamic.
We put children, families and communities first.
• We intervene early and work to prevent problems faced by children before they start.
• We believe in and enable the dreams, plans and wisdom of real people living in real
• We are locally rooted and globally minded. Our home base and primary priority is Waterloo
Region, but we are intentionally building relationships and extending our learning beyond
these borders. We seek out, listen to, learn from and walk with those who live and work in
the communities we support.
• We recognize we are in a unique position to make change happen. We use the power and
privilege this brings with humility and in the highest interests of children and community.
We invest in impact and play the long game.
• We fund beyond the status quo. Our investments support resident leadership, innovative
services, healthy networks and collaborative efforts that tackle systemic barriers to
• We use evidence, expertise, creativity and participation to imagine and re-think possible
• We recognize that lasting change takes time and continued investment. We are willing to
start without knowing the end product, as long as we understand the end goal.
We are shameless about learning and courageous about leading.
• We are aware of our capacity to influence and deploy it judiciously, thoughtfully and bravely.
• We are biased to action. Unwilling to be bound by traditional expectations of charity, we test
novel ideas, take risks and learn from failure. We continuously listen, learn, reflect and
• We are willing to move beyond our comfort zone. We accept ambiguity, seek and engage
with diverse opinions, and participate in clear, frank and honest dialogue.
Lyle Shantz Hallman was a generous philanthropist who worked to make a lasting difference in the lives of the people of his home community of Waterloo Region.
The Lyle S. Hallman Foundation, founded by Lyle in 2003, continues his tradition of giving to areas that he believed were important. The foundation’s philosophy is to invest more in prevention and early intervention than in tertiary approaches. Our support goes to projects working upstream, before problems occur, rather than downstream.
We believe strongly in engaged philanthropy. To us, this means maintaining a close and active relationship with grantees over an extended period of time, and contributing more than just funds. We may help an organization connect with the right expertise; we may advocate on their behalf to government or other stakeholders. Underpinning this concept is the creation of a safe and frank relationship where both parties are open to honest dialogue and problem solving.
Have questions? Ready to get started? We'd love to hear from you! Please don't hesitate to get in touch with our team.